Graduate Record Examination (GRE) has to be passed by students, who want to be admitted to the US, UK or Canadian graduate schools in order to get their master’s or doctoral degrees. The examination consists of several sections, one of which (the analytical section) presupposes the writing of 2 GRE essays, namely the “issue essay”, where a student will be offered to choose between two topics and the “argument essay” that involves the assessment of the suggested argument and describing its weak and strong points.
If you want to increase your GRE analytical writing score and succeed in writing both GRE essays, you are recommended to consider the following tips:
- Make you GRE essay reasonable and logical. In fact, this is one of the basic rules you should follow. No matter how interesting your ideas are, they should be based on some proved facts. If you want your thoughts to be understood correctly, you have to support them with vivid examples.
- Mind the structure of GRE essays. Each essay should be readable and comprehensive enough to be highly rated. That is why do not forget to use special tools that will help organize your thoughts consistently so that the reader could trace your ideas and thoughts. Transition words and phrases will help a lot here. Do not forget about the brief, but informative introduction and the conclusion. Remember that all structural parts of your essay (the introduction, the body of the essay and the conclusion) should be consistent among each other. It is recommended to start writing GRE essays with the body of the essay, not with the introduction. Introduction should be written after the essay is finished, because it should briefly describe the topic you have to develop. If you write it at once, you will probably have to rewrite it, since your ideas may change.
- Always pay attention to your essay’s mechanics. Though you are pressed for time, you should not be in a hurry when writing your essay. Otherwise, you will hardly avoid punctuation, grammar and spelling mistakes, which will distract the assessor’s attention when reading it. Sentence structure and word usage are important as well. If you have some time left, proofread your essay.
- Watch the time. As far as your time is limited, try to use it wisely. Such phrases as “in my opinion” or “to my mind” are admissible, but do not convey any special message. Instead, they prove to be the waste of your time.
- Give preference to common vocabulary. GRE essays should not be overloaded with extremely long and complicated words, which hinder their understanding. Remember that your objective is a compelling and informative essay with well-thought content.
With these tips in mind you will easily pass the examination. And if you still have some questions concerning essay writing, then you can contact us.